“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney
GRRR mission statement -”To empower girls through the art of music.”
This is my third year hanging out at Rock Camp! It has been four fantastic weeks at Girls Rock n Roll Retreat. 26 new bands creating 52 original songs!
This camp is for girls 8-16. They have a choice of vocals, bass, keyboards, guitar or drums as a focus. On the first day they are matched and put into groups to form a new band. They have the week to come together, write 2 or more original songs and at end of the week perform those songs in front of their family and friends at O’Gara’s in St. Paul. In addition to music lessons in their chosen area of focus and band practice, they have workshops in media literacy, social activism, self defense and art. There are performances every day from the camp mentors and other local female musicians.
The goal of this camp is to give girls a place where they are:
* are able to express themselves creatively through music…
* create community, where they support each other and learn to work together…
* see positive role models and support for their creative endeavors…
* are nurtured in a supportive, inclusive space where they can develop their self-confidence and rock out…
* can help create social change to help achieve a more positive image of girls and women in the media, our culture and the world!
Each of the newly created bands performed at least 2 original songs. As the camp director so aptly put it there are new songs in the world that didn’t exist before these fabulous creative girls came together to write and perform them this week. It was so much fun to watch these amazingly talented girls and document these 2 weeks with them!
To see the galleries from each week the links are below:
If you would like to purchase a CD of images you can contact me at email@example.com
All of the money will be donated to GRRR to support their programs.
They have programs year round for both girls and women. I’m even going to learn both guitar and drums this winter. Looking forward to Ladies Rock camp next spring!